Monday 14 January 2019

Thanks Patrick! You lit up the Apex Page Designer for me

As some of you might know, but I suspect not many, I am visually impaired. In some jurisdictions I would be considered legally blind by legislation. I have been visually impaired all of my life. I have been an Apex consultant / developer for years. I have developed Apex application, trained Apex and mentored Apex for over 10 years. I am extremely passionate about Apex.

Very recently Patrick Wolf did a presentation titled "Wow what a Page Designer". You can watch it on Youtube and I have placed the link at the bottom of the post.

In his presentation, Patrick highlights many features of the Page Designer. In specific, he identifies many of the keyboard shortcuts available to move around the Apex workspace and the Page Designer. Some of the things he discusses m ay already been known to you, but for me many of them were new.

The keyboard shortcuts are usually framed as a way to increase your productivity. For me they are an essential part of accessibility. I use a number of specific tools on my laptop to help me in other ways, but moving around the Page Designer with a mouse can sometimes be a bit challenging. The keyboard shortcuts and features like the search spotlight, really enable me to do my job in an easier way. I think that the Oracle Apex development team is doing a great job in ensuring that everyone can equally participate both in developing and using Apex applications.

I  am working currently on an article about how to ensure that your Apex application is fully accessible so that all developers can make this a fundamental part of their design and development process.

Thanks very much Patrick for presenting some of these unique features of the Page Designer. While for some they may be nice to know, for me, they are absolutely critical.

You can view Patrick's presentation  here.

3 comments:

  1. We have to thank my team mates Anthony Rayner and John Snyders for adding keyboard shortcuts and investing a lot of time to make APEX and APEX applications as accessible as possible. I'm just the messenger of those great features :-)

    Regards
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to the whole team. Actually this is something that every developer needs to think about when creating APEX applications. It doesn't happen naturally and needs to be a fundamental part of application design and development. Even the Sample Database Application has some accessibility issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As claimed by Stanford Medical, It's really the ONLY reason women in this country live 10 years longer and weigh 42 pounds lighter than us.

    (Just so you know, it has NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret diet and really, EVERYTHING to around "how" they eat.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", not "what"...

    Tap on this link to determine if this easy questionnaire can help you discover your real weight loss possibilities

    ReplyDelete